Taking place in New York City, London, Paris, Seoul, Shanghai, and Tokyo, Nike are calling on aspiring sneaker designers to whip up their own custom Air Max, which will be put before a panel of judges after a day-long design process.
Participants will choose one of 10 Air Max silhouettes to customise with the help of Nike designers and special guest mentors. The options will be the Air Max 1, Air Max 90, Air Max 180, Air Max BW, Air Max 93, Air Max 95, Air Max 97, Air Max 98, Air Max 270, and the Air VaporMax Plus.
Each workshop will be shaped by five stages of footwear product creation:
1. Concept development: Participants will explore ideas, research the subject of the design brief and form the story behind their concept.
2. Silhouette selection: The program’s silhouettes will be revealed and, in partnership with Nike designers and guest mentors, the participants will select the one that best fits their concept.
3. Material exploration: Nike designers will lead a deep dive into material theory, exploring a variety of swatches to select the elements of the chosen silhouette’s upper.
4. Colour exploration: Participants will get a lesson in colour theory and be guided through the process of selecting colours that best express their concept's intent.
5. Embellishment: Participants will learn about and apply post-embellishment techniques ranging from laser engraving to embroidery; the final steps in bringing their imagined vision to life.
Three designs from each city will be chosen as semi-finalists, with the ultimate winner chosen via a fan vote on nike.com/onair. Each city's top-voted design will then produced and released by Nike.
The On Air campaign runs from March 22 to April 15. You can sign up for On Air Design Workshops right now in London, Paris and Shanghai. Registrations for other cities will follow soon. Visit nike.com/onair to register — no experience is required. *wink wink*