1 (edited by brendan April 17th, 13 2:14pm)

Topic: Melbourne Hanging sneaker book

I've been taking a crapload of photos of the hanging sneakers around Melbourne and am making a book.
Its up on pozible to try and get some funding for a decent run.
have a look and pledge if you're interested.

http://www.pozible.com/melbournesole

http://www.pozible.com/cache/project/19513_560_366.jpg

Re: Melbourne Hanging sneaker book

interesting idea. i take photos when ever i see sneakers on wires too, but i'm not sure i'd want to buy a book about it

3 (edited by lmoody April 17th, 13 2:21pm)

Thanks for editing that!
I know it's not going to be for everyone, but hopefully a few people will find it interesting.

no worries for the edit. thanks for making it easy to edit. but don't take me too negatively Logan, i'm just naturally gloomy and expect the worst, and having a shitty day at work too just for extra grumpiness.

i'm sure it'd be interesting and if i saw it at book grocers or a discount store, i'd probably pick it up happily for maybe $15-20, but none of the donation options will give me a book unless i spend a lot more than i would consider on a book on a subject that's very niche and unlikely to contain that much 'new information'. the photos will be interesting, but when the sneakers i like are very restricted, they're unlikely to end up on wires. so i'm essentially considering paying for a coffee table book of photos of shoes i probably don't like.

we actually have a thread for this here and here and finally here , so there's definitely some interest in the matter. from what i hear from non sneaker people they always assume it means drug dealers but i see plenty of shoes on wires no where near the drug areas so i dont believe that anymore.

please though, keep the thread updated as you make progress, or perhaps share some photos even. i'd like to see it succeed but i suspect the pricing of the book will be the decider as far as i am concerned.

ps - for some reason i think we've met but i cant really remember. maybe i'm just recognising the username from the past sometime? drop me a PM if we have and remind me?

Yeah good call with the price. I was hoping to be able to retail it at around $20 I'm hoping to get it printed for a lot cheaper than the test print i did, and am talking to a couple of overseas printing factories which will drop the price significantly.
I made the pozible before I had really investigated the printing side as much as I should have. I used blurb to print it and that runs at about $100 for a single hardcover which is why I then went to the factories.
Might be remembering me from a while ago? I'm not that active on here though...
Cheers for the input!! any advice etc is greatly appreciated!

7 (edited by brendan July 17th, 13 4:16pm)

You can have a look at some of the photos here:

http://flickr.com/photos/_lrm_

looks like you made the money required without me needing to come back and fix the link (sorry got busy with work). 18hrs to go as i type :thumbsup:

Yeah Thanks!! Pretty happy about getting the target. Am in the process of getting it printed now. Will be selling for $20-25.

hit me up when you have them in hand?  i'll get one at that price.

The book is here! 50 pages of full colour photos. 8" square. ONLY $25!! PM me if you'd like a copy.

nice book

really cool idea for a book. i still throw my beaters over the lines.

doh sorry just noticed the link to flickr that i didnt fix. fixed now.

are you going to that SF meet up tomorrow night? i havent managed to lock it in yet but trying to get there. if you are going, could you throw a book into your bag for me please? just in case i do make it?

Couldn't make the meet up, but the book & a few prints are on show at BSG until the 1st Aug.
If you're around go and check it out and grab a copy.

Brunswick Street Gallery, 322 Brunswick St, Fitzroy.

16 (edited by brendan August 26th, 13 10:46pm)

You can grab a copy from my site now...
http://loganmoody.com/melbournesole

Still a few left so grab a copy now!

17 (edited by brendan November 27th, 13 6:34pm)

I really want to clear the rest of these books out, so since xmas is coming up and they're a nice little stocking filler for sneakerheads...they are now HALF PRICE! $12.50 +P&P or free pickup/dropoff(CBD only) if you're in Melbourne.
PM or visit www.loganmoody.com/melbournesole

i ordered one of these of Logan and it arrived about a week ago. it's taken me some time to get time to flick through it. now i have i thought i should review it.

for the price, definitely it's worth it. there's few words and it's really just 50? pages of photos of shoes hanging off wires but still, we're all here on the forum because we like sneakers and this fits right in naturally on the shelf. It's also Melbourne based so as i flicked through, I was trying to work out where each location was and if i'd happened to have seen that shoe. I'm pretty sure I've seen more than a few of them.

the book quality itself is very nice. the photos look like actual photos - clear and sharp. the printing, the binding etc is all good quality. certainly i've paid more for worse quality books.

now Logan's reduced the price it's an easy stocking filler item. once you receive it you'll probably flick through it a few times and then put it on the shelf and rarely refer to it again, but i would bet that it becomes a book that visitors will pull out to have a look at as they browse your shelves. it's already happened at my place and it hasn't actually made it to the shelves yet. it's still on the coffee table.