Topic: Help me choose a shoe !!

I want a shoe for evryday purposes. 5km walking and occasional running. I want the shoe to be really comfy and also look good for college.
I narrowed down on the following:
Nike Flex Supreme TR
Nike Air Quic
Nike Overplay Vii

The last two are advertised as basketball shoes. Though I dont play basketball,I thought they looked good. This is my first purchase of a shoe from a reputed company. So I really dont know the difference between sneakers and running shoes. Please help me out !

Re: Help me choose a shoe !!

Reputed company? What were you wearing before???

Get some Nike Roshe Run. They will change you. And they are also $70

Party like it's 1999

I am from India. So selection extremely limited. Roshe not available here sad
Only flex, air retaliate,overplay,downshifter ,etc available.

How are the Flex 2012 ?

I suggest you get the flex then, as they will be a more flexible all purpose shoe

Party like it's 1999

well if you can only get what is on your list, get the flex, but honestly, all three are pretty bad. Better off looking for something more along the lines of Nike lunar glide, nike pegasus.
Or something ASICS, Adidas, New Balance, Puma, Brooks
If you have to do lots of walking with the odd bit of running a cross trainer will do, but a running shoe will be better... basketball shoe, much less good

All the gear and no idea.

I will stick with flex then. Never really consider ASICS. I can get the Gel Flash and Gel-Enduro 8 here. Are they good ?

And regarding Puma and adidas, please suggest a model.

well theres millions of models. you need to pick a price point...

it all depends. This site for good or bad is mostly consisting of people who buy shoes that are re releses of really old models or if they do buy new models then they are rarely used for the intended purpose, only for looking good.

You need to figure out what you need from a shoe. You say that you want something for walking in. To me that would indicate a running or walking shoe, possible cross trainer.
Yo say you will do a bit of running, how much is a bit, run to catch a bus, or the odd 5-10km run?

The asics enduro 8 would be a good shoe for a lot of things, but it is an offroad running shoe, good for a wide variety of stuff, but if you are doing stuff mainly on a sealed road or footpath, then it would wearout real fast...

8 (edited by har777 December 27th, 12 10:57pm)

My 5km walk is mainly through bad terrain-not roads but sandy terrain. It gets really muddy during rainy seasons too. My running is mainly stuff like catching the bus, running to class,etc. So mainly sandy terrain and if roads,really bad roads.

The asics available are:
Gel galaxy,oberon,aaron,gel 1170,Cumulus 14,Enduro 8,Enduro 7,Equation, and blur33.

then I would go the enduro 8... or some other trail shoe... even to the point of hicking boots... but thats just me (for that sort of thing I have salomon xt-wings and north face havoc and they are both awesome, comfortable and hardwearing and tack rocks and mud and sand in their stride)

Thanks. I think I'll get that ! BTW what is your opinion on the Adidas Adizero F50 2M ? Getting it very very cheap. Cheaper than a enduro 8.

If you can afford both, why not get both? always good to have a pair for backup just in case

Party like it's 1999

Really dont have the money for both. I am getting the adizero for 50% of its actual price here. And its received rave reviews too. Offer ends today. So I'll probably get it.

the adizero is a good shoe, but it ispart of the adizero range, which means it is designed to be very light weight and for fast running or roads rather than duable or particularly comfortable. It may be cheap, but it won't be if you go through 10 pairs in the same time as 1 other pair...

I would say go to the store (hopefully 1 store will sell a range of the shoes) try a bunch on and go with what feels comfortable, but still feels like it will not fall apart too quick.

The terrain here isnt that bad. My university has extremely good roads. Its just some public road thats very bad.

There are many brands available in the market, and choosing from them is a difficult task. Adidas, Puma, Reebok, Merrel and much more. Choose that which makes you feel comfortable and fits best to your pocket.

A number of companies other than Nike also provide running shoes which give good results. You can also go for Adidas, Puma, New Balance or so on.

paulthomas/Louisbarry, even though your intentions may be good my finger is itching to hit that 'report spam' button.  Please prove that I am wrong.

gusto I think your right... waiting to see what happens...

wow since you're in india, can't you just ask some aunts and uncles who have gone overseas to bring you back a pair? If they're in the US, UK or AUS, be worthwhile getting some more decent pairs....

I would have already gone for them quic's(higher cut means more protection from mud and dust) if I were you- Adizero will get trashed real quick so you won't get the optimal use for them.... Plus it's more a matter of which shoe will last you longer is the bigger question like Mik said earlier.

"An autocop situation ensued"